History and composition of the library
 
The library of the FEF was established in 1987 with the bequest of the books and papers of Ezio Franceschini (1906-1983) who in 1939 was granted the first chair in History of Medieval Latin Literature in Italy, at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore in Milan.
 
In the following years, the collections of many other scholars were added to the original library. Among these, that of Gianfranco Contini (1912-1990), is especially important. As a prominent scholar of Italian literature, romance philologist and literary critic, Contini was an influential and distinguished figure in Italian and European culture of the 20th century.
 
Other collections, in order of acquisition: Lorenzo Minio Paluello (1907-1986) known especially for his studies on Latin Aristotelianism and early scholasticism; Mgr. José Ruysschaert (1914-1993), vice-prefect of the Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, scholar of bibliology, specialist of the history of libraries and the fortune of the classics in the Middle Ages; Bruno Nardi (1884-1968), eminent Dante scholar and historian of medieval culture; Carmelo Cappuccio (1901-1993), historian of Italian literature; Vittorio Ragazzini (1887-1962), scholar of classics; Aldo Rossi (1934-1999), literary critic and university professor, founder of «Poliorama»; Tullio Gregory, former professor of History of philosophy at the University of Rome "La Sapienza", member of the Accademia dei Lincei, and founder of the CNR Institute Lessico Intellettuale Europeo e Storia delle Idee. Marco Praloran (1955-2011): eminent Italianist, professor of History of the Italian Language at the University of Lausanne, and author of important studies on Boiardo and Ariosto, as well as on Giacomo Noventa, an Italian essayist and poet of the 20th century.

Additional information